Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Swimming Suit

Yesterday, I took our three small kiddos to our local natatorium for swimming. I noticed the most interesting thing, that I hadn't seen before. ( I really wish I had been able to take a picture, but for privacy would not have anyway..So a picture from the internet will have to do, to give you a visual...)
There was a young mother with her two small boys that came in for a swim. What I noticed was what she was wearing. She had on long sleeve, long pant, hooded turtle neck "swimsuit"on. There was an Arabic word written accross the front. So I assumed that it may be an Muslim type swimsuit. She wore her hair in a bun and let the hood gently fall behind.
As I sat and watched her I found myself becoming increasingly interested in not only the "design" of the swimsuit, but its purpose, and meaning. Some of which I found that could be very respectable. As I glanced from her, to some teenagers, to some fellow Moms, I couldn't help but kinda compare.
There was a big part of me that found her suit much more appealing than the others. Respectable. Dignified. Even to me , what would be a bit more honoring to my Jesus and my husband. As I looked around and saw the large amounts of flesh and flaunty body images, I couldn't help but think of my husband, my boys, and what they have to deal with.
And then, I just could not help but think of the sweet lesson that she was modeling for her young boys. The lesson of physical modesty and purity. Saving what should be seen by only our husbands for just that- them only.
Although I can't see many of our culture going to that extreme, I do wish that we could meet somewhere in the middle.
I see alot of wisdom in modest dress for so many reasons....

Love,
Jenny

No comments: