Friday, February 22, 2008

To use or not to use, that is the question.....

Okay, I know I have your attention now ( as you are staring at this photo of a toilet!!!)

First let me share a bit of Cultural normalacy that happens here in Southern Spain ( I promise, we will get to the toilet in just a second...)

Here in Andalucia Spain, it is culturally normal, acceptable, and completely welcome for your child to go "pee-pee" just about anywhere... Yes, this really does include just "about anywhere...." Trees, sidewalks, bushes, the side of the road, in the road, on the grass, on the flowers, at the park, sides of a buildings, in the gutters,....etc are all typical targets.
It is not at all unusual to see kiddos stop, drop the pants, and well, you know....
For little girls, Mommy or Daddy usually just kind of "craddle them" between their legs, so that they too, can recieve the same opportunity in being able to avoid "real bathrooms" all together when out and about.

Now, being the Mom to three boys, we have learned that there are many opportunities in this aspect of lifestyle here.( By the way, when we went home this summer, John and I had to gently teach the them that "in America, we actually go and find a bathroom, and use, well.......you know, the actual toilet...")

Well, this brings me to today, and an incident at the school park.

Some, ( like myself, pre-this experience) may think that after one lives in a foreign culture, one may have less and less opportunites for "culture shock." But believe me, it still happens, all the time!!!
I was at the park, with the kiddos, when little four year old Mari Lu comes up to say hi to me. She goes on to explain then and there to me that she needs to go to the bathroom. ( you know, the "real kind!")
I then watched her as she went over to share with her Mommy( who was sitting and visiting with the other Mommies) her special news. Now, her Mommy looks like a any typical Spanish Mommy here (who have just picked up their small children from school.) She is dressed in a skirt, beautiful blouse, tights, heels, a velvet scarf, and the perfect accessories to match.
So, naturally, I was just a little curious to see what her reaction would be to Mari Lu's interupting her, especially with this kind of need!

But, to my amazement I then witnessed something I hadn't yet actually seen here before. (I have suspected it yes, but have not actually seen.)
The Mommy, took Mari Lu just about 30 feet away, and right there in the middle of the park, and everyone, squatted her down, held her, as Mari lu took care of her "real" business!!"
When she was done, her mother did what comes next ( you know.......with the tissue)and quickly ran to throw the paper away. But to my amazement, left little Mari Lu's "business" behind!!!! Right there, in the park, for all to see.. I just couldnt believe it!!!!

Mari Lu then came back over to visit with me. Of course I HAD to ask the question. I asked her if in fact "everything came out okay?" And she went on to tell me giggling "I made poo poo but I am not suppose to tell anyone!!!!"

"Ohh............ okay I said.."

Then within minutes, she and her mother jumped into their fancy BMW and drove away!!!
I just sat there in what was a little state of "culture shock" ( and a bit of a queezy tummy I have to say) in sheer and total amazement!


I just thought sharing this would give a few of you a laugh, for soooo many reasons!!!!
Love, Jenny

1 comment:

Donna said...

I absolutely LOOOVE this one, Jenny!! What a classic picture of the Spanish culture that we both know and love!