Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rasberry-Chicken Salad

So, I might as well tell you that my kids are my guinea pigs!!! Really, they are great sports and very fun to cook for. They eat just about anything, are not the least bit picky, and they are always up for trying something new. For us, in our house, that means during a typical week, I cook 7 meals and about 3-4 of those will brand-new ( never tried by our family before) recipes!

I do so love to cook. And it is a joy to do it for my crew. We eat healthy and fresh. Very few of what we eat come from a can,is frozen, instant or pre-made...I make almost everything from scratch. A few reasons for this: its healthy, less expensive, and taste so much better homade!!!

So, today, you guessed it! We had a new salad ( along with baked sweet potatoes.) The salad was a hit and due to its unusual ingredients, it caught my eye instantly!
Hope you enjoy it too.
Love,
Jenny

P.S. I love Chutney, but can I just say that John does not...So all to say, I was a bit skeptical of that ingredient, but he loved the salad.So, if chutney is not your thing, dont let that scare ya.
Tonight, he was scrounging in the fridge and asking me " hey, is there any of that salad from lunch left? I really liked it!" ( but it was all gone!!!!) ;)

Rasberry-Chicken Salad
By:Jenny Burdge


1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp fresh ( or powder) garlic
1/2 tsp finely diced onion ( or onion powder)
1 lb.( 1/2 kilo) chicken breasts
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 C. Rasberry preserves
1/2 C. chicken broth
1/2 C.white wine
1/2 C. mango chutney
12 ounces mixed salad greens ( I use Romaine and Rucula)

1. Stir together first 3 ingredients; rub evenly on chicken breasts.
2. Melt butter with oil in skillet, add chicken, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove from skillet, dice and keep warm.
3. Stir rasberry preserves and next 3 ingredients over med/high heat, stirring until preserves melt and to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Cook stirring occasionally, 14-16 minutes, or until mixture is reduced by half.
4. Toss salad greens together with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of warm preserves mixture in a large salad bowl until greens are thoroughly warmed and lightly coated with the preserve mixture.
Arrange on plates, and top with chicken.

1 comment:

The Parker Family said...

Hey girlfriend,

I just printed both recipes. I will try them. What is chutney?

Sorry about your dog. I love you..
Trish Parker