Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chicken Fried Steak!


I made Chicken fried steak the other night, and was it ever so yummy! I can remember my grandma making this ( here in our same kitchen) on a weekly basis.
Watching her pound the meat, then dip it in salt, pepper, egg and flour. Then, she would fry it all up into crisy goodness. This is a sweet ( and tasty!) childhood memory of mine. A real tradition in her home.
Then, she would ( of course by Southern standards) use all the leftover grease, and (chicken fried bits) to make the homade cream gravy.... Finally, ever so generously, smothering that steak in it!
This day, I also made homade mashed potatoes to go with it. I used half sweet potatoes and half white,for variety and flavor appeal ( does that get me points in "health" too?)

Somehow, I thing the gravy wiped all that thinking out!

Love,
Jenny

No comments: