Monday, January 19, 2009

OHH NO!



You know that "women's intuition" that most of us women brag about having, from time to time? Well, I had it a few weeks ago.
Can I begin by just saying first that, we are new to the world of "American Girl Dolls." Nonni ( John's mom)gave Audrey her first one last year, for her birthday, and Audrey has really began to enjoy her.
Well, if your not fully aware of these special dolls. I will share with you that one of the things that makes them so special is that they are pretty pricey! Lovely, life-like, and adorable, but...........expensive.
I can honestly say that in the very back of my mind, I had been a little fearful of a possible "incident" occurring. You know, the random fear that our Izzi would just love to get her "Weimariner puppy" teeth all over that deliciously hard, plastic, and ( yes even very durable) doll's hand! ( But then again, we are talking about beloved Weims, and they are notorious for the strength of their teeth and jaws...... )
Point about to be well proven......

So, it happened. Okay, let me set the scene....

We are all opening presents Christmas Day, and Julie ( Audrey's American doll) has joined the festivities too. Aunt Julie had sent Audrey and baby doll Julie matching pajamas. As we got up to show Nonni Audrey's pj's ( important to remeber right about now that she is the one who so generously gave this doll to Audrey..)
I suddenly got a rush of that "Women's Instinct!" I looked back, ( trying to be ever so discrete.) And there she was.....Izzi, doing just what I feared: Completely and utterly enjoying every last ( of what took all of about 2 seconds)to maul off poor Julie's hand! ( Ohhh, the heart sank, and I literally felt ill..... Deathly ill....)
Audrey and I rushed Julie to my room. I tried to swiftly and gently explain to Audrey that somehow, we would try and get little Julie's hand repaired. You know, the " I am a Mommy and I ( hope..) I mean....yes, I am sure we will get her all fixed, as good as new...."
I also went on to explain to her that "this is one of those times, that we need to kinda keep this between us. You know, if Nonni asked about Julie, we would sure tell her. But if not, we would share what happened after we took care of her...."

Honest, yes. Openly sharing that her precious gift had just been disfigured and mauled......
A bit insensitive and unnecessary ( in my book...)
( After all, I am the daughter in law, I have to work to retain my title.. he he!)
Discretion ( at times) is a must...

Anyway, all to say, to you future "American Girl" doll owners ( or current owners..) They have on their web site a full "Hospital Section." It really is quite precious. You basically pay about ( gasp!) $35.00, and you send your doll to the American Girl hospital.
She somes back: cleaned, washed, hair sweetly fixed, a hospital gown, a "Get Well Balloon," a certificate (signed by a real doctor,) and even a tiny hospital I.D. bracelet.
All very sweet......

( I have a feeling it will end up being one of the better ways to spend that $35.00.)
And as far as Julie's little hand, in case your wondering, yes, looks good as new. ( She got a whole new arm out of the deal.) And needless to say, Audrey was thrilled. The picture above is yesterday, when Julie came back from the "hospital," good as new.
( Okay, Nonni, you can be reading this now....)

Love,
Jenny




No comments: