Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chili ( With a twist!)

This is from my Nigella cookbook... Absolutely one of our favorite chilis now! As she says this chili is "comforting, but not bland; it soothes but its sprightly."
I wholeheartedly agree. I think it's got a wonderfully unique flavor that, (although may not take over our traditional "Texas Chili") in the recipe box entirely, it sure gets right in there, ( or at least in mine for sure...)
So,go ahead and try this one. Here are a few possible alterations I thought of for some of my sweet friends:
* I don't use as much of the Cinnamon, as she does ( I am not a huge cinnamon fan in my savory dishes.)
* For my American pals, if you don't do the Chorizo ( Spanish cured sausage) it is still just as great! ( I do often use it, as it is so common and delicious in Spain. So, do not be afraid of trying it! Do go for the better quality though. The Spanish (verses Mexican) type is best.
* For my dear Vegitarian friends, you could easily use tofu, chicken, turkey, or just add more beans.....

Quick Chili
Love: Jenny Burdge

5 Ounce Chorizo sausage ( the soft kind) cut into 1/4 inch half moons.
1 pound ( 1/2 kilo ) beef
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 Cardomom pods, bruised
(* I always double these spices!)
2 Cups good quality tomato and chunky vegtable pasta sauce ( or any flavor really.)
2 14.5 ounce cans beans ( I use Cannellini, Dark Kidney, etc.)
1/4 Cup sweet Thai Chili sauce
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes ( optional)

Put sliced Chorizo into a hot pan and cook over medium heat until the sausage crisps a little and gives up its red- orange oil.
Add ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon to help it brown.
Stir in teh spices and then add the tom/veg pasta sauce, beans, and chili sauce. ( add the chili flakes if using.)
Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You can serve it over rice ( or as is.) I prefer a Jasmine rice.
Toppings:
Sour Cream
Cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro

Enjoy!
Love,
Jenny

No comments: