Alec, our six and halfyear old is (as the title suggests....) scheduled for a Adenoidectomy and Tonsilectomy this Wednesday, February 4, 2009. Your thinking " Ouch!" And I am too....But, the short of it is that he has 80% of his breathing blocked by his Adenoids and therefore has been breathing almost entirely through his mouth. We went to see an ENT two weeks ago, (after he has had about five months of loud snoring, and loud "mouth- type breathing," funny nasal- type sounds, etc....
Also, interestingly enough, he has been in what I have been calling a very "busy ( and quite uncharacteristically) season, for about the same length of time.
To my fascination, the ENT said that his current "unusually high activity level" is directly linked to the snoring. Therefore, months of interupted night sleep, is resulting in him being in "over- drive" in order to cope and get through the day on little rest. He also educated me on how many children get misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD and it is often really due to this.
A huge "Ahh- haaa" went in my head (and out of my mouth,) as soon as I connected the dots.
So, this Wednesday at 6:30 am, Alec and I will head to the hospital for surgery.
Please say a little prayer for Dr. Cadenhead ( who will perform the surgery.) And for God's provision for our sweet little boy during surgery. And lastly for his upcoming approximate eight day long recovery.
Love,
Jenny
P.S. I am welcoming ALL tips on nursing a youngster after this type of surgery.( Types of foods, drinks, things to keep them feeling good, and mabey eventually some light entertainment....) I sure would appreciate any travel tips.

No comments:
Post a Comment