I have posted about this wonderful book before that I highly recomend: Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior In Company and Conversation by George Washington.
This book was written by him at age 14. It is comprised of 110 lessons concerning the act of civility, morality, and good manners.
The forward says:
"This book was written with the intent to polish manners, keep alive the best affections of the heart, impress the obligation of moral virtues, teach how to treat others in social relations, and above all, inculcate the practice of a perfect self control."
What amazes me each day that we discuss a "lesson," is it's utter relevance it has in this day and age. ( Or what it should have this day and age..)
We read it, discuss it, and then the children write it ( as their handwriting lesson.)
Today's was:
14th: "TURN not your back to others especially in speaking; jog not the table or desk on which another reads or writes; lean not upon anyone."
Now thats's good stuff........
I am learning just as much as my children are, I can tell you for sure.
Love,
Jenny

No comments:
Post a Comment