Monday, June 1, 2009

Canning Beets



Audrey and I have now made our second batch of canned pickled beets. I know some of you LOVE them ( like us...) Some of you wouldn't touch them! But, we Burdge's do enjoy them, as a regular condiment on our kitchen table.
I guess I am follwing right along in the footsteps of my Grandpa. A meal was not a meal with out an assortment of "Chow Chow," relish, pickles, or beats..... I agree wholeheartedly, and am now delighting in making them ourselves.
Here is our recipe, it is super easy and yummy. You can use "Golden Beets" or "Red Beets."

Pickled Beets
Love: Jenny and Audrey Burdge

2 Cups Vinegar
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup water
1 tsp. salt
8 Cups cooked beets, cut up. ( I cut up the beets, boil, and then peel.)

Combine: vinegar, sugar, water, and salt in a large pan. Bring to a boil. Place cooked beets in canning jars, pour juice over. Seal the jars, cool, then put in fridge.

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Stacey said...

i'm gonna haveta pass on that one... :) how do you get your kiddos to eat such diverse food? must be some kind of blue-eyed gene...